Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Special Thing Called Life...

Recently, I've found myself surrounded by horrific and gruesome stories of innocent young lives that have been abused, neglected, and even murdered.  Stories that could bring a grown man to his knees.  For me, these events are unimaginable.  How could precious life be taken for granted?  How could someone bring life into this world and then, completely destroy it?  I could rant about all of the instances asking myself "how could this happen" and "who would let this occur", but I won't.  I will try not to get on my soapbox and preach to you about the misdoings of others.  Instead, I'm writing this as a tribute to my babies.  A tribute to life.

I will admit that there are times when the stress load can be unbearable, and I think I can take no more.  When the fighting never ends, I wonder why is this happening.  The crying and whining can test my every last nerve. It's hard being a parent.  You never know if you're making the right decisions or if you're showing them enough of your love.  I get worried every time they have a new bump or bruise or even a slight sniffle.  I want to protect them from all the harm that exists in the world.

And yet, there are days when the thought of going to the store by myself is better than winning the lottery.  Times when all that I want is to eat a hot meal or get a full night of undisturbed sleep. 

My walls are covered with pen markings from a creative child.  My windows are dirty and full of tiny fingerprints made by little hands.  My rooms are filled with toys instead of decorative furnishings.  My counters are covered with half eaten cookies and empty cups.  But every single item has a special story...a story of time gone by...times that may be forgotten.  The mess can be cleaned.  The broken furniture will one day be replaced.  But I choose to live life.  To make memories for my children.  I fill my photo albums with countless memories....memories of first smiles, first steps, trips to the zoo, family time...unending love...moments that went by too quickly.  These are times that bring a smile to my face and a tear to my eye.

Life is so much more than a blessing.

I know life will always be a difficult road...full of ups and downs and crazy turns.  But it is LIFE!  A true miracle and gift from God.  Never should it be taken for granted, yet there are so many precious moments that I fail to remember or even recognize as they happen.  I am not a perfect mother.  Heck, I'm still trying to be a good mom.  I have countless flaws...just ask my kids!  I'm sure they are more than willing to share a few or even more!  Yep, I embarrassed my daughter just this morning as I dropped her off at school.  This seems to be a reoccurring theme anymore, but I know it's just a phase.

This may not be the life that I planned, but it's my life!  It's what God intended.  Even when times get hard, I appreciate all that I've been given.  Parenting, and life, in general, is an uphill battle.  I question whether or not I will ever know if I've succeeded in life...as a parent.  There isn't a parenting report card showing my success and achievements.  No parenting promotions or a slap on the back for a job well done.  Yet every day I will try to do my best...to love them unconditionally.  I will try to teach them right from wrong and to love one another.  I hope they will respect life and honor God.  I hope they will find happiness in life.

My heart aches for the innocent lives that have been taken away.  Those who have been forced to grow up way before they should.  I wish I could protect every child out there.  Keep them out of harm's way.  I hope and pray that I do my part for this world is not perfect.  God gave us life, and through Him we are able to help create life.  I hope I will never forget or take for granted the special moments of life.

May God bless and protect His innocent children each and every day.

2 comments:

*If you want to talk about it, make sure to click the "Subscribe By Email" link below the comment form. You'll see responses in your email!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...