Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Apple Butter Recipe

A few people have asked for the apple butter recipe so I thought I'd share.  And I want you to know that this is the second recipe that I've given out...ever!  Maybe I should submit something to Betty Crocker.  Oh wait, they use those fancy words like sieve...what the heck does that mean anyway?  It's like one of those math story problems where Tom leaves point B at 5:00pm, goes to the grocery store, talks to Karen, hits the chicken as it crosses the road (thank goodness), and goes bowling.  What time will Jane get to the store?  Really?!

Anyway, back to the apple butter.  Here's the recipe.  I've adapted it from a few sources.  Incredible, right?!  So here ya go...


3 lbs. apples (from what I've read, anything but Red Delicious will work)
1 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (I used 3 whole gloves & took them out once I was done)
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Peel and core apples.  Slice into 1" cubes. Add apples and vanilla to crock pot.  Cook on low for 6 hours or until apples are soft.  Stir every hour.  Mash apples or blend in a blender.  Add spices and sugar to mixture and cook on low for 5 hours.  Stir every few hours.  Let cool and refrigerate.


This only makes one jar of apple butter.  I've seen other recipes call for twice to three times this amount.  If you know how to can (that's WAY out of my league), then go for the bigger amount.  Keep band-aids close for you might need a few after peeling that many apples.  Heck, I needed goggles for the apple juice kept squirting me in the eye!  And I'm thinking next time I will core the apples and skip peeling them.  This might add to the flavor...of course, I would remove the skins before I started mashing. 

Enjoy...I feel so official now! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

*If you want to talk about it, make sure to click the "Subscribe By Email" link below the comment form. You'll see responses in your email!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...