Let me start with the fact that I was up late last night watching Transformers: Dark Side Of The Moon...great movie by the way! I highly recommend it, and I'm typically a romantic comedy type of girl. I was getting all flustered worrying about the well-being of Bumblebee and Optimus Prime...sad, I know! My point is that I had little sleep since I had this wonderful idea to start a 2 1/2 hour movie at 10:00 last night. Then, I followed this great idea by drinking a Mountain Dew...I typically don't drink pop, but I didn't want to fall asleep. So my excuse for what you're about to hear (or read, rather) is that I didn't get enough sleep!
As the story goes...
I got up this morning and started breakfast. Every Saturday morning, I make the kids cinnamon rolls. However, this is not a story about how I messed up yet another recipe. Oh, no! I turned on the oven to preheat and walked out of the kitchen. Mind you, I was quite tired and barely had my eyes open...and no, this isn't a story about how I sleep with my eyes open or how I sleep walk (Oh, Logan has inherited this WONDERFUL trait, too! I'm sure my college roommates are ecstatic to learn that one of my off-spring will freak out many friends and family at some point in his life! That's another story!)
Anyway, I walked back to the kitchen only to smell the all-familiar smell...
something was BURNING!
So I look at the stove only to see an abundance of smoke followed by small flames. What happened you might ask? Well, only in MY kitchen could things like this occur. For in my daze, instead of preheating the oven, I turned on one of the stove top burners. And for some unknown reason, there was a hot pad sitting smack dab in the middle of the burner. Oh, yes! The hot pad was smoldering and flames were flickering!
I thought when I pulled the hot pad off the burner the flames would stop.
I thought when I carried the hot pad through the house and into another room to show off my successful morning that the flames would stop.
I thought that throwing the hot pad outside in the snow would cause the flames to stop.
Finally, I thought to run the hot pad under water. It took a minute, but the flames stopped!
Mind you, Matt was quite perturbed at me for hauling the burning hot pad into his man room. See, the house was now filled with smoke and smelled oh so nicely! =) Merisa enjoyed the odor for it reminded her of camping. Me, not so much!
Here's the infamous hot pad...guess I'll be looking for a new one!
FYI: Hot pads keep things from burning your hands, but that doesn't prevent them from burning when exposed to extreme heat! =)
So now you know how great of a relationship cooking and I have! =) There are MANY more stories that involve cooking and fires that I could share, but I'll choose to avoid that for now. Lesson to be learned is get more sleep! Okay, maybe, just maybe, it had nothing to do with lack of sleep and more to do with my great conquest to burn the impossible! =)